- Check the basement, crawlspace, or lowest living level for dampness and water penetration after a heavy rain storm or snow melt.
- Check the skylights, windows, and doors for water penetration during wet weather.
- Inspect the dryer exhaust hood for blockage.Inspect and clean your dryer vent pipe.
- Inspect the sealant and tile grout that is around the showers, tubs, toilets and sinks.
- Check the garage door openers safety features.
- Trip and reset the circuit breakers every six months.
- Test the GFCIs and AFCIs every month.
- Test the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors every week.
IN THE SPRING
- Check the walks, steps, retaining walls, patios, and driveways for cracking, settlement, or heaving.
- While gardening, be sure to maintain a positive slope of the ground level away from the house.
- Inspect for damage on the roof.Flat roofs need inspections twice a year.
- Hire an HVAC professional to inspect and clean the heating/cooling system.
- Check the sump pump system.
IN THE FALL
- Before your first wintertime-use of the fireplace, hire a certified chimney sweep.
- Clean and inspect the gutters and downspouts.Make sure the downspouts are diverting water away from the foundation.
- Trim the tree branches and bushes away from the house and roof.
- Check the weather stripping at the doors.
- Make sure the attic access is insulated well.
- Drain the outdoor water faucets to prevent freeze-burst problems.
- Hire an HVAC professional to inspect and clean the heating/cooling system, including the humidifier.
ALWAYS know the location of the following:
- The main water shut-off valve.
- The main electric disconnect.
- The shut-off switch for the heating system.
- Fire exists, including windows.
- Fire extinguishers.